Kangaroo Mother Care (KMC)
- KMC is a high impact intervention to reduce neonatal mortality.
- Training provides staff with the necessary skills to transfer knowledge to mothers of preterm babies, increasing levels of preterm care.
- The establishment of a KMC unit has ensured more normalized body temperatures, heart and respiratory rates amongst newborns, and increased rates of weight gain.
- KMC contributes to fewer hospital acquired infections and reduces the incidence of respiratory tract disease in preterm and low birth weight babies. This directly impacts on the survival rate of pre-term babies.
- Our aim is to continue providing ongoing training of newborn mothers through this vital intervention and to increase the number of mothers and families that can be accommodated and supported through this process through to provision of improved facilities.